Housing benefit and council tax support claim

Choose one of the following options


Trafford Council is a ‘full service’ Universal Credit area, which means that you may have to claim Universal Credit instead of Housing Benefit for help towards your rent.

You can only make a claim for Housing Benefit if one of the following applies:

  • You and your partner are Pension Age
  • You live in temporary accommodation provided by Trafford Council (including HOST)
  • You live in supported or exempt accommodation
  • You receive or were receiving within the last month the Severe Disability Premium (SPD) as part of your income-related benefits * Income-Related benefits: Income Support, Income based Job Seekers Allowance, Income-related Employments & Support Allowance and Housing Benefit.

If you do not fit into any of the above categories you need to apply for Universal Credit online at  www.gov.uk/universal-credit/how-to-claim

If your Universal Credit application is successful then you will be required to attend an interview at your local Jobcentre Plus.

Universal Credit does not include assistance with your Council Tax, please complete the form if you need to apply for Council Tax Support.

Start a new form

Choose this option to start a new form - select 'start' button to get going

Continue a saved form

Choose this option to retrieve a previously started form - enter the reference number from last time and select continue to carry on

Loading section. Please wait a few moments... Please wait while we search for your details